Welcome to our Exciting Story!

Welcome and thanks for stopping to look at our little exciting story.
China (Dianchi) is expecting our first foal by the stunning Avanti Amorous Archie (RID)
Click on the links to see where we are upto in our story.

Sunday, 5 September 2010

March-The Adventure begins!

So after the all the years of talking about it the decision to put China in foal was reaching do or die moment in time. China wasnt getting any younger (16yrs now) and after getting that elusive BD Elementary point did I really need to push her anymore?
After talking it over with the vet and having her checked over and all the swabs taken the next questions were who, where and when!
I knew that it needed to be a stallion with more bone, with a quiet temperment and a good work attitude. Ideally shorter in the neck and back than China as these are really her weaker points.
As i had thought about it a few years earlier and finding Cameo's Reflection the first time round i thought it best that i start by going to meet him and see what i thought of him in the flesh, So off to Suffolk I went!
Cameo's Reflection was all that I remembered him to be and I was convinced that he would be the most perfect match. Leaving it that I would be in touch with the view to send China up to Suffolk in May i went home. Little did I know that it was the start of a bad weekend!
Sadly on that Sunday things and plans were all to change.

A morning out in the field with a new mare proved a recipe for disaster and China was left with a large laceration on her vulva. When the on call vet turned up to stitch her up the first words uttered were "You didnt want to breed from her anymore did you?" My heart sank, however foals were the last thing in my mind and fixing China and getting her back in one piece and healthy was my main concern.

The healing process took a nerve racking 6 weeks, during this time it became apparent that the first choice of stallion and the hope of natural covering had gone out the window.
However my vet was positive that AI was worth a try so the search for a stallion could start again.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment